Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Packing List-Around the World With One Bag

One of my favorite parts of this whole odyseey I will be embarking on is coming up with a packing list of sorts. I scoured the internet for ideas and came up with my own must have items.

The first part was picking out a backpack, which will hold all of my possessions. I had a couple of internal frame packs already, but I wanted something new. Truth be told, I wanted something pretty to carry around. I picked out a blue Deuter 60 liter pack that is expandable. I love it. It's my favorite purchase of the year. I bought items that will last me a couple of years.

Here is what will go in it:

2 pairs of shorts (Columbia, quick dry) Khaki and Burgundy
2 pairs of pants (Columbia, quick dry)-I will be able to dress these up a bit. Khaki and Gray
1 dress (North Face) Convertible to a skirt-Gray
3 shirts -I still have to pick which ones I am bringing
1 Pair trail running shoes -double as hiking shoes
1 pair Rider sports sandals
1 pair sandals for dressing up
2 pairs quick dry underwear
1 swimming suit
1 bra (ughhh I hate them)
3 pairs sports socks
2 outer layers/lightweight jackets (one button up sweater and one rain/all weather jacket)

2 sets of adapters
1 travel towel
1 pillow case (to stuff clothes in and make a pillow)
1 lock for my pack
My trusty Netbook-(smaller than a hardcover book)
1 Zune music player
1 stuff sack
2 Cameras
1 small purse
1 headlamp/light
1 sports watch
Chargers for electronics
Passport holder


1 comb
1 toothbrush
1 bar shampoo (really cool invention)
I nail clippers

I also want to find a couple of small items to give the kiddos or to trade. Ideas are welcome.

What I will not be bringing-

Makeup
Hair tools
Books
My cell phone

Items they want to sell you that you don't need:

Pack back covers- (they are expensive and a rain poncho works just as well)
Travel pillows-(again expensive and my pillow case idea will work better)
Full backpack locks-(they are made out metal webbing that goes all over your pack-too heavy, cumbersome, expensive)

All of my shopping is done. It's kind of nice to stop the purging of money for right now.

I got my vaccinations shots yesterday as well. Pretty painless and I feel good knowing I wont get some weird disease. I got vaccinations for: Typhoid Fever, Yellow Fever, Meningitis, Hep A and Polio.


60 days!

Peace and love,

Lara







3 comments:

  1. Not sure how I came across your posts, but after reading it some, I am very excited for your upcoming adventure.

    My wife & I spent 6mo traveling around the world with a backpack in 1997-98... Ages ago, but the memories are like it happened yesterday.

    If youhave a chance read "The World Awaits"

    http://www.amazon.com/World-Awaits-How-Travel-Well/dp/1566912431#reader_1566912431

    Good luck on your adventure... definately not a vacation.

    Saw a movie recently that put me into the travel spirit once again. "The Footsteps of Marco Polo". Give it a view, and see if this is traveling for you.

    http://www.wliw.org/marcopolo/video/watch-the-full-episode/324/

    I will check your travel log again. Let me know if you want to hear of my experiences in Europe, Turkey, Egypt, India, Nepal, Thailand, Bali, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii...

    Take care...
    Luxor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. I have some advise.. I'll post it on my blog which has reserected recently:

    http://seaingtheworld.blogspot.com/2010/05/travelling-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading guys! I will check out all of the links you posted. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete