Tuesday, May 18, 2010

50 Things

With my journey into the world about to start, I have made a list of things I want to do over the next couple of years:

1. Learn how to haggle with the most harassing Indian street vendors I can find.
2. Sail from one country to another, possibly as a stow-away.
3. Visit Snowy River, Australia
4. Eat fried cockroaches and ants and not throw up.
5. Go to a village without electricity or running water and stay for at least a month.
6. Go to a wedding in India of an arranged marriage.
7. Go to a wedding somewhere in a village in an African country.
8. Have the guts to be nude on a nude beach in Rio.
9. Teach at least one child conversational English
10. Read the Koran and the Bible.
11. Go skiing in the Alps.
12. Surf in Australia
13. Teach at least one child how to surf.
14. Go trekking in Nepal.
15. Raise at least $10,000 for a good cause.
16. Work on a Sea Shepard vessel for at least 3 months.
17. Go to an outdoor music festival in Australia.
18. Go sailing in Norway.
19. Meet my pen pal, Henry Rollins, for coffee somewhere in the world.
20. Learn to find comfort when I am uncomfortable.
21. Ride a train through China.
22. Walk the Great Wall in China.
23. Visit the pyramids and try to find a quiet place amongst the tourists.
24. Sleep in an Igloo.
25. Learn to speak at least 3 different languages at least enough to get by.
26. Visit the smallest country in the world.
27. Work on a farm in New Zealand.
28. Learn how to mush a team of sled dogs.
28. Go rock climbing in Turkey.
29. Go to a World Cup match.
30. Become friends with a Sumo Wrestler and buy him dinner after a match.
31. Author a book.
32. Learn about sustainable living.
33. Work as a bartender on an Island somewhere.
34. Learn to belly dance in an Arab country.
35. Wear a Burqa so I know what it feels like to be hidden.
36. Kayak in Iceland.
37. Fly on the world's most dangerous airlines.
38. Ride a bus through El Salvador.
39. Surf in South Africa.
40. Surf in India.
41. Stay in a Hostel in Transylvania.
42. Float along the Amazon river.
43. Meet a real life Geisha.
44. Meet someone with AIDS in a developing country and hold their hand.
45. Go caving in Slovenia.
46. Drink whiskey in an Irish pub.
47. Get over my phobia of snorkeling and diving. (I have a fear of having my mouth/nose covered)
48. Volunteer after a natural disaster.
49. Make a fire by rubbing 2 sticks together.
50. Get an upgrade to first class on a flight.

I'm sure I will be adding to this list as I go. But, it gives me a really good starting point. One of my oldest friends in the world, I've known her since kindergarten, and her boyfriend have offered to give me buddy passes with a well-known airline. I cannot express how thankful I am for the offer, it will save me a considerable amount of money to be able to fly anywhere in the world for virtually no money. Thank you Tina and Sean!

Peace and love,

Lara



1 comment:

  1. You just amaze me. I wish I could have 1/10 of your adventure spirit. I am just a homebody, control freak, like to know what to expect next kind of girl. No judgement here. Just amazement. And prayers for your safety! Cuz I am a worry wart too. :)

    ReplyDelete