Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Which One Are You?

I had a really interesting conversation with a friend of mine the other night. one that ultimately led me to tears. We were talking about the all consuming subject of following your dreams. He is a family guy, he has 3 kids, a beautiful wife and a great job. In his heart of hearts, all he wants to do is buy a camper, load up the family and travel, in his case, it's chasing the fish up the coast. He talked about going to Alaska, about hitting the Canadian coast, about heading down south as far as he can go. As he was telling me this, he was alive. He has told his wife that this is his dream and please, honey, can we do it? Her reaction, I can only surmise, was not pleasant. He told me that he knows in his heart of hearts that this is his path, that he doesn't need all the stuff they have accumulated and on and on. Why did this bring me to tears? Because I can say, with 90% certainty that he won't make the "move".

Nothing frustrates me more than people who accept and choose to live in their own personal mediocrity. Forever chasing some twisted version of how they think they are supposed to live their lives. See, the thing about life, is that it passes way to quickly for all of us. I, at times, have been stuck in the quiet desperation of mediocrity, wanting to be somewhere else, to be someone else.

I hear it all the time "that's not reality" or "but, I have commitments, I have bills, I have blah blah blah". Really? Are outside things more important than your heart? Are they more important than doing what you truly want to do with this life we have all been given? It makes me sad.

And it makes me a tad judgmental of them, which I know is wrong wrong wrong. I've divided people into several categories when contemplating life. Which again, is pigeon-holing people and who am I to do that? I'm not anyone really, all I have is the knowledge that I have made a shit ton of mistakes in my own quest in the great movement of life and maybe, I can learn something more from all of this.

The first category I put people into are the "Fakers." The ones that constantly talk about doing "The Move", but never actually do. They are the ones that will go buy a new car, because hey, they NEED it, but we all know they get stuck and that is where they really want to be. They don't actually do anything to fulfill the dreams bouncing around in their heads. They just talk talk talk. I don't care for this group, lacking the passion and commitment for any real change. I mean, why don't they just say, "Hey, I will be here in this place for the rest of my life and I'm OK with that."

The next category of people are, what's known as the "Weekend Warriors". These people I am slightly envious of in a weird way. They are perfectly content to work and live their everyday lives during the week and then blow it up on the weekends. This category, I believe, is rare. However, it is the biggest category people like to put themselves in. They are the ones that truly are perfectly happy with the lives that they have created. Happy to have roots and happy to have a family and stuff. Again, this category is rare, though, practically everyone says they are in it.

Next we have the "Giver Uppers". These are the people that choose to ignore any light at the end of the tunnel. They are the ones that will tell you any number of excuses for their current situation and they are almost always negative. It goes something like this "I used to have hope and dreams, but I'm not rich enough, smart enough, this person was/is mean to me, I have commitments and I'm stuck" and on and on. I don't care to associate with these people. They are the ones that refuse to grasp any sort of opportunity, living wholly in a "woe is me space". Yuck. Who wants to be like that? Who wants to be around that? Not this girl.

Then we have the "Almost There" category, which my friend falls into. They know they have to make a change, and trust me, in one way or another it will happen. However, by the time it does happen, they are often stuck in a move they truly didn't want. I really like this category. They are the ones that need a nudge. They are destined for greatness, if only they can look for it and have the courage to say "This is MY life, not yours."

Lastly, we have the true"Movers". I see them in my line of work everyday. They go after what they want and disregard outside pressures to not do "it". They are the ones that basically tell family and friends to accept them or get out. I like this category and strive to be in it. They are the ones that ignore fear, ignore outside influences and just do. They are the committed of the world. In history, they have been the explorers, the adventurers, the world changers. They are the Edmund Hillarys, the Helen Blums, the Doyle Brunsons, the Magellans, and the Therouxs.

It may be simplistic to categorize people in such terms, and perhaps, I am wrong in doing so. What I do know, is that a life of quiet desperation is no life at all. What are you willing to do to chase the "Move". You don't need money, it's not about that. I know a guy who traveled the coast of Mexico in search of waves with a $500 car, a tent, his dog, and $300 in the bank. He was doing what he had to do to stay alive mentally and spiritually. It's not about what you have in the "move", its about strength of character, commitment, and the knowledge that only you can make your life. No one else can or should be responsible for you. Not your parents, family, friends, or bosses. Should you up and leave your husband or wife, your job, your house, your mediocre life to make the "move"? Well, if you are already considering it, then it will happen eventually, so why not NOW? There is truly nothing to fear if you are being authentic to yourself. That authenticity will get you through the lonely times, it will feed you and clothe you. Within it lives the knowledge that your fear has been discarded and your dreams are right at your fingertips, changing and growing with you along the sometimes potholed but gloriously winding road of life. The time is now people. Go for it.

Peace and love,

Lara

*I know I may have missed a couple of categories, so post one if I have.

12 comments:

  1. Isn't this often a case of the grass being greener on the other side? I.e. the tied down person wanting freedom and the free person wanting roots? Surely balance must be taken into consideration, even in terms of following dreams. In the example of your friend wanting to set off on fishing trip of a lifetime I'd bet one of his dreams earlier in life was to find a great wife and build a family. Oftentimes I think people become too focused on the things they don't have than the things they do... it's important to be positive in the face of all situations. In your friend's scenario I think it would be great advice for him to read 'The 4-hour work week' by Tim Ferris, if even just for the part about mini retirements as definitely life becomes monotonous otherwise. I think life doesn't have to be so hard, with big decisions each time to give up on one thing to chase another... it's possible to have your cake and eat it. In fact the more you eat the more it will replenish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment Ross, though I 100% agree people should be happy in the moment, I have to take issue with the whole "Grass is always greener" concept. I think that statement in itself, causes people to fear change. As in, if I give up this, Ill regret it. I try to live with no regrets and in my case, the one time I thought "grass is greener", it actually was. Again, thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good read! I couldn't place myself in one of your categories and I always "wonder" what is that one special purpose I'm supposed to be doing. I've always focused on work and marriage. While I love my field of work, its not my special purpose in life and has often brought frustration. I know I'm a better person in a happy marriage and I'm so lucky and blessed to have a man who loves me all the way. I love some hobbies like poker and crafts and writing, but again not that "life purpose" thingy. I know there is something there somewhere for me, just haven't discovered it yet. I keep asking God to reveal it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, nice ;) Definitely the grass can be greener ;) Yeah I guess I mean that people often see things as having to be one way or the other, and nothing inbetween i.e. my life is not 100% exactly how I want, wouldn't it be great if it was like such and such...(i.e. grass being greener)... but I mean that often a more balanced approach would actually fit everything better, i.e. doesn't have to completely abandon all material possessions and become a fishing / travelling family... when frequent 2 or 3 month mini vacations would likely provide all the changes he feels he needs, without having to abandon one for the other and help achieve that feeling of aliveness he craves. Suddenly they become a family that goes on adventures - definitely an exciting thing to be a part of for all family members. Keeping the grass green on all sides. Of course it's all up to the individual and what satisfies them but main point is that balance can satisfy multiple needs, rather than just choosing one big thing over another.

    Keep on rockin... I like the blog and the philosophical discussion ;)

    Your new Irish friend (via Sao Paulo, Brasil), Ross. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree too that def living in the moment is best, with an eye on the future... I mentioned in a note on your previous blog about the sweet spot / in chase of sublimity etc... I guess both blog entries relate to one very important key to living and feeling that sense of aliveness... having passion in your life as without passion what else is there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your input Ross, thanks so much! Do you have a twitter, blog, other web-space?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I blog from time to time at Poker Curious... http://pokercurious.com/blogs/rossg/

    Feel free to add me on Facebook if you use that too (Ross Glacken).

    I also recently had my first published article in Ireland's main newspaper. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2010/0213/1224264316693.html


    I work in the online poker industry but am also starting to focus more on writing... short stories, novel, screenplay.

    Keep up the thought provoking, inspirational, motivational blogs Lara... your site is one of my favourite to visit each day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, Lara.

    I also agree with Ross' suggestion about the 4-Hour Work Week. Enlightening read. |Changed how I do business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lara, you touched a pretty sensitive nerve with me. I did a lot of adventure seeking in my 20s, then settled down with a family since I've been in my 30s. Occasionally I find myself feeling really static and I find it hard to reconcile my wanderlust with the love/responsibility I have for my family.

    The only solution I've found so far has been to lead as nontraditional life as possible with my family in tow. Yes, it precludes me from hiking the AT, moving to Brazil, or jumping out of planes, but it's the best I can figure.

    I don't think there is such a thing as having the best of both worlds, but if you can live in both happily and remain emotionally/spiritually fulfilled, I don't think it's that bad.

    That is, in short, I hate that I can't go on every adventure I conceive, but I would hate it a lot worse if I had missed out on an opportunity to be a dad to two amazing boys (who are both already proving to have the same spirit of adventure are world curiosity.

    Enjoying your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Otis, I respect your work and writing tremendously and I am truly honored that you enjoyed my post. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lara, Awesome post!!

    I was in a similar situation. As a young adult I was always on the move. Jumping on a bus with nothing more than a few friends, our skateboards and our backpacks with an unknown destination.

    So much fun and an incredible experience.

    Then, I met my now wife, we had a couple of kids, priorities changed and I had to get a so-called real job. Although being a firefighter / paramedic was a really fun job, I had bigger aspirations and I was bummed that I wasn't able to do what I really was dreaming about.

    I wanted to drop everything, travel the world, expose my children to knew cultures and grow as a person.

    My wife was not to fond of this idea. She's an attorney and risk just isn't in their vocabulary.

    So a few years ago, I traded in my career in public service for a career that allowed me to do what I wanted. I started my own adventure travel company, Falk Custom Adventures, and it has facilitated my need to travel all over the world while still being able to provide for my family.

    I say, if a person really wants it, there's nothing holding you back except for yourself. You may not be able to do it the way you originally wanted, but there is a way to do it none the less.

    LIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can really empathize with nearly everyone's posts. Having made the move, wanted more, then wanted roots again... I do tend to believe in the "Green Grass" theory. However, I am far less afraid of trying to find greener grass then I am afraid of being stuck with the grass Im on. It is not that I always think someone or somewhere else is better, it is that I like to remind myself that everyday I get to choose what grass I want for my life.

    ReplyDelete