Monday, June 21, 2010

On a Rollercoaster

This is the roughest roller coaster I have ever ridden. I keep going from one extreme to another and it's really wearing on me emotionally. Part of me is so very excited about my upcoming adventure and another part of me, is absolutely devastated that I will be saying good-bye to some people that I may never see again.

Isn't that the way life goes though? People come into your life and they are there for a short time, we are all here for a short time. I feel like such an idiot right now, for spending a portion of the short time I have here, letting silly life dramas interfere with some of my relationships. I don't think very many people can really understand how this feels, it almost feels like a death of sorts and in reality it is almost exactly that. The next 29 days, I plan to spend with the people I love and the people I will miss the most. I have been so very blessed with a large circle of people that I adore and I honestly can say that they have made this chapter in my life so amazing, they made it worth every thing it took to get me here. I am also realizing that I won't miss anything material here. I will be traveling with a backpack, all my worldly possessions tucked inside, but really, the "things" I am giving up aren't important. It's always been about the people, the grace of love that falls upon you when you least expect it and gives your heart a home.

For the first time in my life, I have a foundation and though I fought it tooth and nail, I do have roots of sorts. Though I know that foundation will always be here, I won't. Right now, I can't escape the knowledge that I might never come back. I am, at times, overly dramatic about things. Someone that I love and respect immensely told me that he feels like he is going to outlive me, because I am so very reckless. And so, I am going to try to control the impulse that leads me to dangerous situations while I am traveling. But, in all honesty I really I don't think I will be able to. I don't feel truly alive unless I am facing down the impossible. I won't even begin to explore what that says about me as a person, but suffice it to say, I have been like this for as long as I can remember. So, Doyle and Pam, I promise that I will TRY to be careful, but no guarantees that I will always be careful.

On a lighter note, my plans have changed a bit. It looks like I will be in India for around 5 months because of visa restrictions. I will be at the school/orphanage in Kerala teaching English and Athletics to the kiddos and surfing my ass off. After that I may be heading south. Cambodia, Laos, Bali, Malaysia and then over to Australia to see friends. After that, who knows, but I have friends up north in Poland and my brother is in Norway, so we will see. But then again, that all could change. In all actuality, I don't know where I will be 6 months from now and that excites me, terrifies me, and gives me an immense sense of satisfaction all at the same time. I am just going to roll with it all, and remember that I am where I am suppose to be when I am there.

Tonight I am suppose to be with two people I love so very much. I hope I can say the same thing everyday for the next 29 days, because again, it's all about the people.



Peace and love,

Lara

5 comments:

  1. Most people live through the "reality" that society creates for them.

    You create your own reality. That's why you are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post, Lara. I wish you many blessings on your journey.
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely written. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lara. Don't dread about your relationships too much. You will most definitely lose touch and move on with some, but those who make the effort can be with you emotionally on the road. Also you will meet so many great people along your journey, who may even end up being long-lasting relationships.

    So when will you be in India? I'll be there in Feb doing this awesome rail trip for charity (http://globetrooper.com/the-great-circular-indian-railway-challenge-2011). You should join if you want?

    Anyway, good luck and I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lauren! I would love to join you in February! Let's keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete