Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Heroes and Villians and Everything In Between

Heroes and Villains. Helen of Troy launched a thousand ships filled with heroes and each day we are launched into the world with the simple question: Are you going to be a hero, a villain, or both today?

In Greek Mythology, most of those we would term heroes were villains to others. It begs the question, which one are you? Is it possible to be a hero to a child and an absolute villain to your neighbor at the same time? And since every single one of us makes mistakes and has the capacity for greatness, perhaps right now, at this very moment, someone thinks you are a hero and someone else thinks you are an absolute villain.

If even the Gods of ancient mythology were flawed, and seriously, they were borderline crazy at times, then how can we mere mortals ever expect to be more than they were? The Gods were down right evil at times, their stories are rife with jealousy, anger, infidelity, arrogance, and deception. Throughout all of the stories, the bridge between the mortal man and the Gods has always been the hero. The hero is the ideal, but clearly we need to leave room for imperfections. And holy shit people, that means that YOU get to be imperfect, you get to be a villain and you get to be a hero!

Is a hero someone who's soul is chipped at daily while they toil for the betterment of humankind? Or is a hero the one that rushes into a burning building to save because it is there job? Are both heroes?

My personal heroes have always been those that shock me. The ones that stick by me, call me out on my shit, love me, and save me at the same time. See, a hero can be just that. I got over the notion of savior when I was a child. From somewhere, deep inside, past all the surface movements, I knew. I knew that there are no white nights like in the movies. And now? Now I find my white knights in the strangest forms and yes, they actually do exist and yes, they are heroes in the most unusual ways.

So, you in the closet teenage gay guy you are my hero even if you shoplift those really cool ass hugging jeans. You have the capacity for teaching people the meaning of forgiveness and being true to yourself. And hey guy that cheats on his wife and hides it but loves his children so much he would die for them, you are a hero. And teachers, the ones that hold the development of greatness in your hands but get in screaming matches with the grocery store clerk for no reason, yep you are heroes.

Here's the deal, Zeus turned himself into a swan in order to rape Leda. But, he also saved the earth at least 3 times. Now, I'm not saying it's OK to turn yourself into a swan and rape, but what I am saying is that even if you make massive mistakes, someone thinks you are a hero. Right at this moment, someone is thinking of you as a hero. And I can't think of anything more God-like than being a hero and still making mistakes.

Peace, love, and joy

Lara

2 comments:

  1. so you're basically saying that us mortals can't/shouldn't let ourselves be defined by the sum total of our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we are defined by both our greatness and us at our worst and what I'm saying is that it's OK. The sum total of "us" is made up of all of it and more and it's a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete