Monday, August 30, 2010

Going Back To Where I Belong

I was standing alone in the middle of a bridge in the heart of Dublin, waiting for my friend Katie from the States to meet me. A man came up and asked me if I was the girl he was supposed to meet on the bridge, someone named Lisa. I said no, but that I would wait with him while waiting for my friend. We had a lively conversation for about 20 minutes about Ireland, America, and pretty much everything in between. When Katie showed up I thanked him for keeping me company and for the conversation. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a necklace for me. It was only a cheap trinket, the kind you can find in any tourist shop anywhere in the world. But, his action, though small caused a tiny shift in me. A shift I didn't even realized had happened until later.

Tonight, in the tiny harbor city of Villamoura, Portugal I am lounging in a swanky hotel room, courtesy of my friends that came here for a poker tournament. I made the trip from Ireland to Portugal to meet them and hang out for a bit. I went for a walk earlier and decided that I would find the local supermarket. Of course, I got lost and stopped a tiny Portuguese woman and to ask her for directions. In my best broken Spanish/Portuguese/Italian mix I managed to get across to her what I was looking for. She gestured to where I needed to go and in the end, walked me there. We chatted the best we could along the way and when we arrived at the market, we said goodbye. She reached into her purse and pulled out a tiny rosary, telling me it would protect me, she handed it to me and walked off.

I have been going at warp speed on the journey of mine, always moving and waiting for the shift to happen. On a bridge in Dublin it happened and I fell into it more tonight. It's the knowledge to my toes that this decision I have made is the right one. It's the growing love for the life I have now chosen. I love every part of this journey, from staying in hostels, to meeting random strangers on the street and for a moment, sharing a part of ourselves. I love making do with very little, sleeping in crowded dorms, and shopping for food to prepare at night. I love meeting people like Hannes, Max, and Eddie, 3 German boys that I hung out with in Dublin and subsequently suffered a wicked hangover from all the drinking we did.

It won't surprise those that know me, that I don't miss a single luxury. I miss the people I left, but not the things and everyday conveniences that made my life so easy. It just seems like too much now. I am realizing that in the end, those conveniences only serve to isolate us from the world. In fact, staying in this gorgeous hotel has made me feel isolated. It has proven that I don't need all of this. I am itching to get back on the road and I know now that it is where I belong at this point in my life.

On Wednesday, I fly to Bangkok. I am going to spend the next year in Southeast Asia. taking my time to soak in every part of it I possibly can. I will be doing heaps of volunteer work in Cambodia and am hoping to stay there for several months. In the bottom of my backpack, I will have a tiny rosary and a symbolic necklace from Ireland. I will take them out occasionally to remind myself that people are out there, just waiting to connect and be connected with. After all, no bridge or street you may cross is too short to stop and connect upon.

Peace, love, and joy

Lara

5 comments:

  1. That's amazing, Lara. I miss you, and I hope to see you out there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you, too. You're absolutely right that even small trinkets can be touching when given to you by a stranger in those kinds of situations. I would have felt very humbled and unreasonably grateful. It's just such a different mentality than you'd find here in the States.

    Anyway, I'm glad you're hitting your stride and appreciating the little, important moments like that. I knew it was the right decision for you as soon as you told me about it, and I'm glad you got this reassurance, whether you needed it or not. (But it sounds like you did, at least a bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog. I have really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entry brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete